Timeline for Northern Regional Prison site
23 June 2020
The state government has outlined its timeline for the Northern Regional Prison development in the wake of last week's new site announcement.
The new prison site will be on Crown Land 5.2 kilometres east of Westbury's Post Office.
Corrections Minister Elise Archer said the move further away from the original site was made after Westbury community consultation indicated a shift was preferable for the prison development.
Should the prison go ahead, construction will commence in 2022, with stage one of the opening of the prison slated for 2025.
The timeline for the prison development is as follows:
- July 2020 - Tasmanian Government finalises due diligence on Crown Land site.
- August 2020 - state government begins development of the masterplan and Particular Planning Zone assessment including required consultation.
- December 2020 - planning application submitted.
- March 2021 - design and tendering begins.
- Early 2022 - construction works begin on Stage 1.
- 2025 - opening of Tasmania's Northern Regional Prison Stage 1.